COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (Reuters) - Controversial middle-order batsman Kevin Pietersen can return to the England fold after making peace with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) in a row over "provocative" text messages, officials said on Wednesday.
Pietersen had apologized to former England captain Andrew Strauss, the ECB said in a statement, and could potentially return to the squad for the tour of India later this year.
"Agreement has been reached concerning a process for his re-integration into the England team during the remainder of 2012," the statement said. "Upon completion of the program, the England selectors will consider Kevin for future matches.
"Kevin Pietersen has apologized to Andrew Strauss and wishes to express to all those who support England his regrets at the impact the recent controversies have had on the England Team.
"He now wishes to put the events of the summer behind him and to focus on regaining his place in the England team."
Pietersen, who has averaged nearly 50 in 88 test matches, was dropped in August after admitting sending messages to members of the opposing South Africa side which he conceded were provocative but denied were derogatory about Strauss, the ECB said.
Pietersen said he had deleted those messages and the ECB said the issue had been "successfully concluded through a binding assurance provided by Kevin".
Pietersen has been commentating on the Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka and will hold a news conference in Colombo later on Wednesday.
(Writing by Clare Fallon; Editing by Ken Ferris)
(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Check for restrictions at: http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp